XYMOGEN, ALAmax™ Protect 120 Capsules
ALAmax™ Protect is designed to help support cardiometabolic health. It delivers alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), the plant alkaloid berberine, and biotin in one convenient formula. These ingredients have been observed to support insulin activity and glucose metabolism. Research also suggests a role for berberine in supporting normal A1C levels.*
- Supports Glucose Metabolism and Insulin Sensitivity*
- Supports Healthy Blood Lipid Metabolism*
- Assists the Body in Maintaining Normal Levels of HbA1c*
- Positively Influences Adipocyte Differentiation and PPAR Expression Associated with Adipogenesis*
- Provides Antioxidant Support*
Berberine As a naturally occurring botanical extract, berberine is commonly isolated from plants such as Oregon grape, barberry, and goldenseal. Berberine is known as an alkaloid, and plants containing berberine have traditionally been used for their various health-promoting properties. Research has demonstrated that berberine helps regulate glucose and lipid metabolism, positively influences cell signaling, provides antioxidant support, and impacts immune health.[1-3] Of more recent interest is the influence of berberine on cardiometabolic health, including its effects on adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK), gene transcription, and signaling factors that influence adipose tissue differentiation, and hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels.*
Adenosine Monophosphate-Activated Protein Kinase (AMPK) As the primary enzyme that induces an intracellular cascade of events, AMPK is responsible for maintaining and replenishing cellular energy stores. AMPK activation stimulates glucose uptake and fat oxidation while it suppresses lipogenesis and gluconeogenesis. Cumulatively, AMPK activation leads to beneficial metabolic states in the liver, muscle, and peripheral tissues. Of the natural products known to activate AMPK, berberine is one of the most prominent. AMPK activation by berberine was reported as early as 2006. Since that time, berberine-mediated AMPK activation has been repeatedly demonstrated, and this mechanism is thought to be central to the beneficial effects on glucose metabolism, insulin sensitivity, cytokine activity, and cardiovascular health observed in patients taking berberine.*[3,5,6]
Adipocyte Differentiation and PPAR-Gamma Expression In vitro, berberine positively influences fat cell size. This effect is significant because it has been reported that fat tissue composed of a high number of small fat cells is more sensitive to insulin than fat tissue (with the same lipid content) composed of a low number of large fat cells. Berberine has also been shown to downregulate the adipogenesis-regulating transcription factors peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) gamma2 and CCAAT/ enhancer-binding protein (C/EBP) alpha in preadipocytes isolated from human omental fat. This downregulating effect on PPARs has been observed in other in vitro work and in animal research as well.[8-11] In a human study, individuals taking 900 mg/d of berberine for three months showed decreases in waist circumferences and BMI (body mass index) as well as significant decreases in leptin levels, leptin/adiponectin ratio, and the homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR). There were no significant changes in adiponectin levels.*
Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) Also known as glycated hemoglobin or glycosylated hemoglobin, HbA1c serves as the definitive measure of a person’s average blood sugar level for a three-month period. Maintaining HbA1c within a healthy range is an important aspect of cardiometabolic wellness. Recent studies on berberine show that doses of 1,000 to 3,000 mg/d have a positive effect on HbA1c levels. Yin et al demonstrated that 1,500 mg/d of berberine had significant beneficial effects on HbA1c, glucose metabolism, and triglyceride metabolism. In a randomized placebo-controlled study (n = 116), 1,000 mg/d of berberine significantly decreased HbA1c and had positive effects on blood lipid metabolism. This desirable effect on HbA1c by berberine has also been observed in animals.* Taken together, these research studies suggest that berberine has excellent potential as an agent that supports cardiometabolic health. Four capsules or one daily dose of ALAmax Protect provides 1,000 mg of berberine hydrochloride to achieve the range (1,000 to 1,500 mg/d) used in clinical studies.*
Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA) ALA is a multifunctional antioxidant also known as thiotic acid. It has numerous effects that complement berberine. These effects include reducing oxidative stress, regenerating antioxidants, increasing glutathione synthesis, boosting antioxidant defense systems at the gene-expression level, stimulating AMPK activation,[12,13] affecting adipocyte differentiation, and increasing insulin-stimulated glucose disposal.[12,14,15] Furthermore, ALA inhibits nuclear factor-κB (Nf-κB), a transcription factor that activates many proinflammatory genes in the vasculature, making ALA an excellent pairing to berberine for cardiometabolic health.*
Biotin has been added because chronic administration of lipoic acid lowers the activities of pyruvate carboxylase and beta-methylcrotonyl-CoA carboxylase in vivo by competing with biotin.*
Capsule (hypromellose and water), dicalcium phosphate, magnesium stearate, silica, and microcrystalline cellulose.
Take two capsules twice daily, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Consult your healthcare practitioner prior to use. Individuals taking medications, especially medications that are metabolized by cytochrome P450 enzymes or that affect blood glucose, should discuss potential interactions with their healthcare practitioner. Do not use it if you are pregnant, nursing, or trying to conceive. Do not use it if the tamper seal is damaged.
Keep closed in a cool, dry place out of reach of children.
Does Not Contain:
Wheat, gluten, corn, yeast, soy, animal or dairy products, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs), artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, or artificial preservatives.
- Yin J, Xing H, Ye J. Efficacy of berberine in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism. 2008 May;57(5):712-17. [PMID: 18442638]
- Zhang Y, Li X, Zou D, et al. Treatment of type 2 diabetes and dyslipidemia with the natural plant alkaloid berberine. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Jul;93(7):2559-65. [PMID: 18397984]
- Li Z, Geng YN, Jiang JD, et al. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of berberine in the treatment of diabetes mellitus. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:289264. [PMID: 24669227]
- Lee YS, Kim WS, Kim KH, et al. Berberine, a natural plant product, activates AMP-activated protein kinase with beneficial metabolic effects in diabetic and insulin-resistant states. Diabetes. 2006 Aug;55(8):2256-64. [PMID: 16873688]
- Wang Q, Zhang M, Liang B, et al. Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase is required for berberine-induced reduction of atherosclerosis in mice: the role of uncoupling protein 2. PLoS One. 2011;6(9):e25436. Epub 2011 Sep 27. [PMID: 21980456]
- Zhang M, Wang CM, Li J, et al. Berberine protects against palmitate-induced endothelial dysfunction: involvements of upregulation of AMPK and eNOS and downregulation of NOX4. Mediators Inflamm. 2013;2013:260464. [PMID: 24385682]
- Yang J, Yin J, Gao H, et al. Berberine improves insulin sensitivity by inhibiting fat storage and adjusting adipokines profile in human preadipocytes and metabolic syndrome patients. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:363845. [PMID: 22474499]
- Zhou J, Zhou S. Berberine regulates peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors and positive transcription elongation factor b expression in diabetic adipocytes. Eur J Pharmacol. 2010 Dec 15;649(1-3):390-97. [PMID: 20868663]
- Zhou LB, Chen MD, Wang X, et al. Effect of berberine on the differentiation of adipocyte [in Chinese]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2003 Feb 25;83(4):338-40. [PMID: 12812656]
- Liu Y, Lou SY, He YM. Effects of berberine on cell proliferation, peroxisome proliferation activated receptor gamma, CAAT/enhancer binding protein mRNA, and protein expression in 3T3-L1 pre-adipocytes [in Chinese]. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2008 Nov;28(11):1005-09. [PMID: 19213344]
- Li GS, Liu XH, Zhu H, et al. Berberine-improved visceral white adipose tissue insulin resistance associated with altered sterol regulatory element-binding proteins, liver x receptors, and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors transcriptional programs in diabetic hamsters. Biol Pharm Bull. 2011;34(5):644- 54. [PMID: 21532151]
- Golbidi S, Badran M, Laher I. Diabetes and alpha lipoic acid. Front Pharmacol. 2011;2:69. [PMID: 22125537]
- Hahm JR, Noh HS, Ha JH, et al. Alpha-lipoic acid attenuates adipocyte differentiation and lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 cells via AMPK-dependent autophagy. Life Sci. 2014 Apr 1;100(2):125-32. Epub 2014 Feb 14. [PMID: 24530288]
- Diesel B, Kulhanek-Heinze S, Höltje M, et al. Alpha-lipoic acid as a directly binding activator of the insulin receptor: protection from hepatocyte apoptosis. Biochemistry. 2007 Feb 27;46(8):2146-55. [PMID: 17274632]
- Konrad D, Somwar R, Sweeney G, et al. The antihyperglycemic drug alpha-lipoic acid stimulates glucose uptake via both GLUT4 translocation and GLUT4 activation: potential role of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in GLUT4 activation. Diabetes. 2001 Jun;50(6):1464-71. [PMID: 11375349]
- Zempleni J, Trusty TA, Mock DM. Lipoic acid reduces the activities of biotindependent carboxylases in rat liver. J Nutr. 1997 Sep;127(9):1776-81. [PMID: 9278559]
|USPS (Business Days)||UPS (Business Days)|
|USPS Priority Mail (1-3 Business Day)||UPS 2nd Day Air (2 Business Day)|
|USPS Parcel Select (1-7 Business Day )||UPS 3 Day Select (1-3 Business Day)|
|USPS First Class Package (1-3 Business Day)||UPS Ground (1-7 Business Day)|
Please Note: No Saturday Delivery Available.
Agape Nutrition is proud to offer:
United States Postal Service (USPS) and United Parcel Service (UPS) as our standard shipping carriers and their services. Shipping rates are determined in real time or carrier book rate by weight and distance. Shipping Options are determined and reflected upon check out, for your choosing. If an option is not listed upon check out, your package may not meet the weight requirement or the service may not be available to the address location. Automated invoices for orders and shipping updates will drop into the email listed on the Agape Nutrition account. If SMS is accepted, automated updates will go to your phone via text message, you may also receive an email.
We pride ourselves on providing fast service at competitive prices.
- Orders received by 12:00 pm Pacific Standard Time (PST) are generally processed the same day, and may ship within 24 hours. However, this is not a guarantee.
- Orders received after 12:00 PM (PST) may process within 24 to 48 hours of receipt.
- Tracking is updated within 24 to 48 hours of receipt and after processing and the package has shipped.
Processing and shipping times are:
- Estimated and applicable during regular business hours.
- Dependent upon the daily order volume at Agape Nutrition.
- Dependent upon the daily order volume at the partner warehouse.
- Dependent upon the time zones of our manufacture and distributor partners.
- Dependent upon the shipping service practices and processing standards.
Signature may be required for:
- Orders of a high dollar amount.
- Biotics Research shipments.
- Vielight shipments.
- Richway shipments.
- All electronic devices.
- All laboratory test kits.
We have fixed shipping rates for a select few brand partners as per their shipping rate requirements, which may be different then our own and other distributor warehouses. Brands that apply: Vielight, Richway International, Biotics Research.
Shipping carriers are experiencing delays. This is due to increased shipments resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic combined with any holidays, and / or natural disasters.
Expedited shipping (2-Day, 3-Day, and Next-Day) are not guaranteed by the carriers and does not include weekend delivery. Due to no carrier guarantees, delayed or late packages are not eligible for refunds. This is a stipulation directly from the shipping carriers and is out of our control.
Shipping Service Guarantees Remain Suspended for Most Shipments. Please reach out to the shipping carrier for more information.
Please see our FAQ page for additional questions and answers.
All discounts and promotional offers are calculated before shipping and handling rates are applied.
Orders cannot be cancelled or changed once the order has been placed and the confirmation is received.
Products may ship faster then expected, and many are automated to process directly after order confirmation. We work directly with top professional manufactures and distributors from across the United States, in all time zones. There are a lot of cogs and wheels turning to process and ship your order efficiently to meet an on time delivery target. When you request a cancellation or change of an order, it may take up to 72 hours to process your request. This process may involve voiding orders in computer systems, removing items from back order logs, pulling items from production schedules and sometimes stopping orders at the shipping dock or warehouse. Our order fulfillment may be performed by many quick hands, in different states and time zones. Therefore, we cannot offer or guarantee order cancellations after the order has been received.
- Products may process and ship faster then expected.
- Products may be automated to process directly after the order is confirmed.
- Product warehouses may be in different states and time zones.
- Orders may take up to 72 hours to process a cancellation or change.
Agape Nutrition is proud to ship to 52 states and territories of the United States.
- All 50 United States (includes Washington DC, Hawaii, Alaska)
- Armed Forces: Americas (AA)
Orders shipped to U.S. military addresses (APO/FPO/DPO) will ship via United States Postal Service (USPS) at the carrier book rate; normal delivery of these orders may be delayed by one (1) business day.
Agape Nutrition does not offer international shipping at this time, outside the 52 states, including Washington DC and Armed Forces Americas of the United States.
HEAT SENSITIVE SHIPMENTS
Products requiring shipment in a cool environment (perishable and frozen items) are subject to special shipping procedures due to their sensitive nature to ensure customers receive products in good condition. Heat sensitive items are shipped using sealed thermal bubble bag, ice pack or brick, resealable bag and extra padding to ensure a cool environment. We do not recommend heat sensitive item ship to territories of the United States, and we cannot be held responsible for cooled environment degradation to these destinations.
Agape Nutrition recommends that heat sensitive products ship with your preference of any 1-3 Day delivery service. We do not offer overnight or next day delivery service at this time. Saturday delivery is not available or guaranteed, unless offered by the shipping carrier as part of the normal delivery.
- Heat sensitive items are not eligible for return, credit, or refund. As we cannot guarantee cool storage or efficacy of the product, after the order has been delivered.
- Delays in shipping service delivery, caused an issue? See our return policy for further information.
Please be aware of severe weather and hazardous conditions in your area or other states that may affect the timeliness of your package delivery. Agape Nutrition can not be responsible for severe weather and unforeseen incidents that may impact the processing times and/or shipping services. We will work to ensure the safety of our employees while minimizing effects on service. Contingency plans are in place to help ensure that shipments arrive at their final destinations as quickly as conditions permit.
Please Be Aware of Any Possible Shipping Delays:
(1) Slight delays with fulfillment processing may occur as manufacture and distributor warehouses are experiencing higher than normal volume and demand for nutritional items.
(2) Shipping carriers are experiencing delays. This is due to increased shipments resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic combined with any holidays, and/or natural disasters. Expedited shipping (2-Day, 3-Day, and Next-Day) are not guaranteed by the carriers and does not include weekend delivery. Please reach out to the shipping carrier for more information.
(3) Please be aware of severe weather conditions in or around your location and surrounding states that my affect the timeliness of delivery.