Why Investing in your Brain Health is so Important
We all know the importance of being physically fit with exercise and nutritious foods, but how often do you consider your brain health? When your brain is healthy and happy, your body can perform at optimal function. But what are the consequences of an unhealthy brain? And how do you invest in your brain health? Luckily, there are some steps you can take in order to begin your journey to a healthy, happy brain.
Consequences of an Unhealthy Brain
It is important to recognize the importance of brain health. According to the CDC, your heart and brain health is connected. When you are not practicing healthy habits in order to maintain optimal brain function, you run the risk of suffering from:
- Heart attack
- Vascular Dementia
- Memory Loss
- And many more brain-related health issues.
When your brain is unhealthy, your neuromuscular system is at risk. Your neuromuscular system is comprised of every muscle within your body as well as the nerves that allow them to function. Any movement you make first starts at the brain, with the nervous system sending signals to the muscles in order to perform the movement. The neuromuscular system isn’t only important for movements you consciously decide to make, but also for actions within your body you do not think about, such as breathing or blinking. When your brain health is suffering, so is the rest of your body.
Heart Health is Brain Health
There are multiple steps you can take in order to take control of your brain health. It may come as no surprise, as we previously discussed the link between heart and brain health, that WebMD’s first recommendation when it comes to maintaining brain health is focusing on your cardiovascular health.
Elise Caccappolo, Ph.D., an associate professor of neuropsychology at Columbia University Medical Center in New York, states that certain heart-related diseases such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol can disrupt blood flow to the brain. Some heart-healthy lifestyle changes that will also lead to a healthy brain include:
- Quitting smoking
- Staying active with at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic training a week
- Drink in moderation
- Commit to a healthy diet that consists of whole, nutritious foods
Food and Supplements for Brain Health
Now that we’ve established the importance of heart health when it comes to keeping your brain happy, there are some ways to target your brain health directly. A great way to ensure your brain is functioning at peak performance is through consuming brain-healthy foods and supplements. Some brain-healthy food and supplements include:
- Fatty fish - rich in omega 3s fatty acids, fish such as salmon and sardines can help build brain and nerve cells which can optimize memory and learning.
- Blueberries - full of antioxidants, blueberries can help with inflammation within the brain that is associated with aging.
- Turmeric - another antioxidant with anti-inflammatory benefits, Turmeric is a surprisingly powerful spice that can help with memory, fight depression, and even help new brain cells develop.
- Pumpkin Seeds - Pumpkin seeds need not only be consumed around Halloween. These seeds are a powerful antioxidant that contains magnesium, iron, and zinc. Each of these micronutrients has proven to benefit your brain whether it be through memory, depression, Alzheimer’s, and more.
- Green Tea - Green Tea contains L-theanine (a powerful amino acid), which has been shown to improve brain function by working with caffeine, a natural stimulant found in green tea. The combination of caffeine and L-theanine has been shown to improve brain function.
When it comes to supplements, you want to ensure you are choosing a comprehensive formula that will support healthy nerve function and promotes overall brain health. At Agape Nutrition, the supplement Protocols For Health Neuro Revive 120 Vegetarian Capsules Healthy Brain Nerve Function Support will be your number one choice when investing in your brain health.
Your brain health matters. The brain connects every aspect of your body including your heart and nervous system. Investing in your brain health is important for living a full and healthy life and there are many ways in which you can take control of your brain health, including taking care of your cardiovascular health and consuming the right food and supplements.